>Top 0. Introduction:
- A rhetorical figure in
which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a
deafening silence and a mournful optimist. (American Heritage
- The phrase of "oxymoron" is not only a rhetoric
of expression, but this gives us a strange and profound intellectual
- Oxymoron hides in the background of our mind, and sometimes
appears in the surface, similar to a whale!
So, let's go to find whale watching in spacious ocean world of
>Top 1. < LITERAL OXYMORON >
- (contradiction) is a typical oxymoron.
Old Chinese story tells that once there was a weapon merchant, who is selling
a sword which can penetrate any hard protection. Concurrently he sells a buckler
which can shield any hard sword. Then a possible buyer asked, "What happens
if you stab your buckler with your sword?"
- open secret
- zero sum
- sound of silence
- public school (in England)
Giga (10^9), Tera (10^12), Peta (10^15), Exa (10^18), Zetta (10^21), Yotta
But we, two-byte culture living people, have much more bigger number unit:
Japanese (Chinese, or Buddhist) new number unit appears every four figures,
while Western three figure.
"Man" = 10^4, "Oku" = 10^8, "Cho" = 10^12, "Kei"
= 10‾16, "Gai" = 10^20, "Jo"
= 10^24, "Jou" = 10^28, "Kou"
= 10‾32, "Kan"= 10^36, "Sei"
= 10^40, "Sai" = 10^44, "Goku"
= 10^48, "Kougasha" = 10^52, "Asougi"
= 10^56, "Nayuta" = 10^60, "Fukashigi"
= 10^64, "Muryo" = 10^68, "Taisuu"
Here, for example, "Koga" means the Ganges River in India.
"Kogasha" probably means the total number of grains of sand
in the Ganges River. "Fukashigi" literally means 'mystery',
"Muryo" means 'infinite', "Taisu" mean 'big
number'; all these units originally came from Buddhist counting of 'Sanskrit'
But western culture insists that there is bigger expression of number: "googol"
(10^100), and finally "googolplex" (10‾10^100) = the number 10 raised
to the power googol.
- worth nothing
- a white crow
- Black Swan; written by Nassim N. Taleb
- Shimatsu-sho (a letter of apology); in Japanese 'shimatsu' means disposal or settlement; which should be in-disposal or un-settlement?
- realist of the fantastic
- Infinite zero:
- Strength of weak ties:
- Black-ink bankruptcy
- "Sometimes what counts can't be counted, and what can be counted doesn't
count." - Albert Einstein
- Labor Day (1882 in US) : should be Labor Off Day .
- Monopolistic competition; as a type of imperfect competition: Monopoly
has no more competiton.
- PFI (Private Finance Initiative) to support publich finance;
does Private support Publich?
- Visualization of the vision: Vision should be something to be
- brittle like a plastic; does plastic have no plasticity?
- Plastic littering will destory plastic forces in nature.
- One cannot derive from where the outcome of the derivatives has
- New Old Stock: original parts for obsolete equipment
- bipartisan diplomacy
- He answered me in a politely impolite voice and manner; or impolitely polite words
- easy feat
- sweet sorrow
- 千 qiān=10^3; 万wàn=10^4;
秭 zǐ(禾予) =10^24;
恒河沙 hénghéshá=10^52, coultless as the grains of sand in the Ganges;
不可思议 fùkěsīyì=10^64, unimaginable;
无量 wúliàng=10^68, measureless;
- all these units originally came from Buddhist counting of 'Sanskrit'
>Top 2. <CLASSIC OXYMORON>
- Make haste slowly.
- Shizukasa ya iwa ni shimiiru semi no koe
(How still it is here - stinging into the stones, the locusts'
(from Okuno Hosomichi- The Narrow Road to Oku by Matsuo
Basho, 1689, translated by Donald Keene.)
.............At the summit the doors of the temple buildings
were all shut, and not a sound could be heard. Circling around
the cliffs and crawling over the rocks, we reached the main temple
building. In the splendor of the scene and the silence I felt
a wonderful peace penetrate my heart.
- multrum in parvo: much in little, i.e. a great deal in a small compass; much information communicted in few words.
- festina lente: make haste slowly
- felix culpa: happy fault
- ignotum per ignotius: the unknown by means of the more unknown: such as explain the universe by superstring theory, or 10th or 11th dimensions.
- terminus a quo: end from which; starting-point of something; Cf. terminus ad quo; term to which, the finishing time of something
- odi et amo: I hate and I love
- petitio principii: beg the question; a logical fallacy which consists in taking for granted a premiss which is either equivanent to, or itself depends on, the conclusion.
- obscurum per obscurius: explain the unclear by means of the more unclear.
- pons asinorum: bridge of asses; dul-witted persons find in getting over or mastering it.
- prima/primus inter pares: first among equals
- pars pro toto: the part for the whole, i.e. a part considered a represenatie of the whole
- maximus in minimis: very great in very little things
- meum et tuum: mine and thine; what is one's own and what is another's
- qui docet discit: he who teaches learns
- quid pro quo: something for something
>Top 3. <POLITICUL OXYMORON>
- nuclear deterrent
- peace keeping operation
- Clinton's ethical message
- Bush's peace message
- Japanese government swears historical recognition at Yasukuni Shrine.
- Stiglitz stated that Greenspan“didn't really believe in regulation;
when the excesses of the financial system were noted, (he and others)
called for self-regulation—an oxymoron.”
>Top 4. <TECHNICAL OXYMORON>
- Schrödinger's cat
- zero emissions
- Microsoft 100% pure Java
- IBM =" I Built Microsoft"= or "I Buy Mac"
- stupid network
- Paper document for paperless forum
- Y2K problem conference 99
- packet communication
The essence of communication is long believed to connect or establish
point-to-point communication physically. During the communication,
other intervention or interference must be excluded. Imagine
one way railway; a train must physically occupy the whole route
of railway to secure the traffic between the two terminals. But
the packet communication was invented with revolutionary idea;
information is divided, or packetized in a small volume named
packet with necessary tags or identification, similar to a parcel
in the postage. Various packetized information is contaminated
and concurrently delivered using same communication line. If
it is congested or disconnected another detour route is used.
Such packet switching technology has the advantage of efficient
communication and more redundancy than the dedicated line. But
it has the disadvantage of some delay, which does not fit realtime
communication. But recent technology has developed such as IP
telephony! So new technology produces many 'but' and oxymoron.
- Liquid crystal
- Digital spectrum:
Various digital services are appearing, which are collectively
called "Digital spectrum". But we should not forget
"digital" is discrete and "spectrum" is continuous
- Chaordic: The behavior of a self-governing organism or system that harmouniously blends chaos and order.
- Mass customization: Mass customization is the new frontier in business competition for both manufacturing and service industries. (Wiki)
- ly= light year= about 9.46 trillion km; the distance to α Centauri is nearLY 4.37ly.
>Top 5. <PSYCHOLOGICAL OXYMORON>
- cruelly kind
- insanely great
- Core competence of Sogo-shosha
- Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded.
- At the changeable age, there remains unchanged things.
- Interim-CEO, or "iCEO". Steve Jobs became iCEO when he returned
Apple Computer. From 2000, he promoted to normal CEO from iCEO.
- Patent of Business Model:
Model should be a proposal or a plan for testing or final product. If a model
is registered as a patent which will not allow further improvement or revision,
this would not be called a model any more.
- "GLOCAL" vs. "GLOBAL"
Internet or development of LAN and WAN enables local activities more and more
global, which will be called "GLOCAL", a new synthetic word of "Global"
- temporary life annuity
- strength of Achilles tendon
- chaordic: characteristics of chaos and order.
- Kiss of death:
- silent voice
- deadly friend
- deadly nightshade (belladona)
- timeless; timeless sleep, timeless fly; timeless 2013
- Cable & Wireless
- capital letter
- Today's only one agenda (→agendum)
- addless AD
- an infinite number of points lies between any two points.
- wise fool: a fool expesses wisdom
>Top 6. <PALINDROME>
- Symmetry by characters:
- A man, a plan, a canal - Panama.
- Madam, I'm Adam.
- I prefer π(pi)
- Damn, I Agassi miss again, mad!
- Was it a cat I saw?
- Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
- Symmetry by words:
- First ladies rule the state and state the rule: laddies first.
- Japanese palindrome (called kaibun) by hiragana syllabary.
- むら草に草の名はもし備はらば なぞしも花の咲くに咲くらむ
- 長き夜の遠の眠りの皆目覚め 波乗り船の音のよきかな
- 白波の高き音すら長浜は 必ず遠き潟のみならし
- 茂る葉もかざして岩間闇砕く 御山は出でじ坂も遙けし
- 松の葉に 悲しみ深し追憶を いつしか踏みし 中庭の妻
- Palindromic number:
- Palindromic primes:
- Palindromic perfect squares: 0^2=0, 1^2=1, 2^2=4, 3^2=9, 11^2=121, 22^2=484,
26^2=676, 101^2=10201, 111^2=12321, 121^2= 14641, 202^2=40804, 212^2=44944,
264^2=69696, 836^2=698896, 1001^2=1002001, 1111^2=1234321, 11111^2=123454321
- New palidrome (original):
>Top 7. <AXIOM>
- On the shoulders of giants:
" Pigmei Gigantum humeris imposite plusquam ipsi Gigantes vident."
(A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giants
>Top 8. <DIGITGAL JOKE>
- Thank you for calling. Please leave a message. In case I forget to check
my messages, please send your message as an audio file to my e-mail, then
send me a fax to remind me to check my e-mail, then call back to remind me
to check my fax.
- Please press 1 to transfer your call. If you're calling from a rotary phone,
please make a beepy noise that sounds like you just pressed 1 on a touch-tone
- "Technology has made my job much easier! I begin each morning by listening
to all my voice mail and when I'm done with that it's time to go home!"
- Show-stopper: Every song is a show-stopper. But the lack of Unicode support is a show-stopper for me. The former is a good stopper, while the latter is a bad one.
>Top 9. <JOKE>:
- Irregular conjugation for Japanese:
- love - rub - rubbed - abandoned
- Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
- Pre-sent is an oxymoron; pre mean a forecast of future, nad sent is description of the past, thus Pre-sent would be a bridge of the past and a future.
- What is the longese word in English: It is not 'smiles'; it should be 'slyness,' because there is a light year between s- and -ness. There are many others: lily, polyline. What about 'Opar section', where 'parsec' (3.26 ly) is included.
- Une monja (=Sp. nun) mange monja (=Jp. monja food).
- Дорога (=Ru. road) is doro (=Jp. road).
- Колкол (=Ru. ring) rolled korokoro (=Jp. rolling).
- take vows (=bonze)
>Top 10. <BIT OXYMORON>:
- Bid world is totally different from atom world.
- "People are making lots of money charging nothing." (Book of 'Free')
- It started with a loose end in The Long Tail.
- 21st century Free is different from 20th century Free.
- 'Freemium' = Free + Premium
- Google Generation says 'Duh'
- Trancendental number:
$\pi=3.14159 26535 8979\:3 23846\: 26433 \:83279\: 58288 ...$
- $e=2.71828\: 18284\: 59045\: 23536\: 02874\: 71352 ...$
>Top 11. <CHANGE OF ORDER IN EXPRESSION>:
- Black and white TV
- buying and selling
- food and drink
- cats and dogs
- Snow Whilte
- Daddy Long Legs
- Food and clothing: manner and money make a gentleman.
- Young and old
- Heavy and light
- Heat and cold
- Ladies and gentlemen
- Debts and credits
- Rain or shine
- male and female
- Right and left
- North and South
- North, South, East and West
- Supply and Demand
- Women and Children
>Top 12. <AMBIGUITY IN EXPRESSION>:
- house to rent; property for sale