- take A(it) for granted
- what it takes
- as a term of
- be on 〜terms with A
- come to terms with A
- in general terms
- in layman's terms
- in real terms
- serve a term
- >Top that clause
- It seems that SV現在
S seem to V
- It seems that SV過去
S seem to have been V
- It seems that SV過去
S seem to have been V
- It is believed that †2
S is believed to
- It is reported that
S is reported to
- It is likely that SV
S is likely to V
- the +比較級
- a change fro the bettr
- get the better of 人
- the 比較級+SV
- all the more for 〜
- no less than〜
- A, no less than B
- A is no less than B
- no less A than B
- no more than〜
- no more A than B†4
- no better than A
- no soon A+過完
than B 過
- >Top to
- prefer A to B
- >Top try
- try 〜ing
- try to do
- turn A down
- turn to A
- turn on A
- turn on A to B
- in turn
- turn 部位
- turn a blind eye to A
- turn a deaf ear to A
- turn one's back on A
- turn one's stomach
- it turns out that SV
- turn up one's nose at A
- A=grantedもみなして>当然のものとして¶She seems to take it for granted that I buy her dinner on weekends.
- 状況がとるもの>素質･才能 ¶She has what it takes to be a great leader.
- term*2: 終わりの点･線
- 任期･刑期 term=definition ¶Nerd is used as a term of abuse†1.
- 人間関係>Aと〜な仲だ ¶He and I are on first-name terms.
- 不自由な状況で>あきらめて受け入れる¶She is trying har to come to terms with her own past.
- 一般的な言葉で ¶When foreign people talk abou Japanese people in general terms, they often think of very shy and obedient people.
- 世俗の人>素人でもわかる言葉 ¶In layman's terms, what are Omega-3 fatty acitds?
- 実質的には¶Defense budgets wer uct, in real terms by 40% in the last decade.
- の期間を勤める ¶He served a term as chairman of the company./¶He served a term in prison for robbing a bank.
- that節*3: 'it seems that'とS seem to do'の書き換え問題
- ¶It seems that she is satified with the results.
¶She seems to be satisfied with the results.
- ¶It seems that she was satified with the results.
¶She seems to have been satisfied with the results.
- ¶It is said that their marriage lasted fewer than three years.
¶Their marriage is said to have lasted fewer than three years.
- ¶It is believed that dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago.
¶Dinasaurs are believed to have gone extinct 65 million years ago.
- ¶It is reported that the government carried out a chemical weapons.
¶The government is reported to have carried out a chemical weapons.
- ¶It is highly likely that he will win reelection.
¶He is highly likely to win reelection.
- the: 選別･判別 [驚きと意外性の比較級]
- ¶He is the taller one of the two.
- 好転 ¶Focus on what you can do to make a change for the better.
- 感情･欲望に人が支配される ¶Curiosity got the better of you.
- 倒置 ¶The more he walked, the narroer the space became./
¶The more money you make, the more taxes you must pay.
- 〜のせいでなおさら ¶She valued family all the more for having lived without it./ ¶... all the more because she had lived without it.
- not the less より少ない方ということはない>それでもなお ¶Nonethelss, the global financial recovery remained sluggish.
- もする ¶This bag cost no less than 1,000 yen./¶How long do you think it is going to take? not less than a week
- Bに劣らずAも ¶The history of art, no less than the history of science, suggests that this is true.
- 同レベル、他ならない、多さの強調 ¶Your daily commute is no less than one hour./ ¶Your damage is no less than mine./ ¶Life is no less than a journey.
- Bに劣らずA ¶Intellectura propety rights are noless important than other forms of private property./何とあの人が ¶That was sung by no less a person than Ray Charles.
- ほどしかなかった ¶Thw small box wa sno bigger than the palm of her hand.
- と同じくあり得ない ¶He is no more a Christian than Buddha is./ ¶I'm no more a kid than you are.
- Aも同然、と変わらない。たった、AがBと同じく馬鹿げている ¶Then you are no better than a bully.
- Bの時にはAは既にもうしてしまった ¶She had returned to the kitchen when he emerged form the bedroom. →No sooner had she returned to the kitchen than he emerged from the bedroom. (彼女はもっと早く台所にもどってしまったとおもっているだろうけど、実際はそんなことなくて同時だ>台所に戻るやいなや彼が寝室から現れた。)/
¶No sooner had I closed my eyes than images flickered in my mind.
¶As soon as she returnd to the kitchen, he emerged from the bedroom. [時制は同じ]
- to: ラテン比較級*4: はthanではなく
- ¶He thinks he is suopeior to me.
cf. He thinks he is better than I.
- ¶Even as a little child she preferered toy cars to dolls.
- 試しに〜してみる(試験動作中) ¶He tried opening the door./¶He found the soup tasteless, so he tried adding some salt to it.
- 〜しようとしている (未実現) ¶He tried hard to open the door.
- ひっくり返して下にやる>却下する ¶I know what it means to accept the offer. I should turn it down.
- 〜の方を向く>に頼る ¶He turned to me and said, "What do you make of this?" Cf. make of A
- on 圧力をかける>急に襲いかかる ¶The man suddenly turned on the TV reporter.
- Bに対してAのスイッチをonする>興味をもつようになる ¶He turned me on to rap music.
- turn (n) 順番という回転>順番に ¶Ten people said the same word in turn.
- 見て見ぬふりをする ¶We must not turn a blind eye to bullying.
- 耳を貸さない ¶My boss turned a deaf ear to my proposal.
- Aに圧力をかけて(=あてつけて;Cf. give up on A)、背を向ける ¶The government turned its back on the asylum seekers.
- 〜をむかつかせる ¶The smell of the animals turned my stomach.
- 状況がひっくり返った結果、意外が状況が現れる ¶It turned out that he didn't run for the election.
- (鼻を上に向けて)あしらう ¶I asked her out for dinner but she turned up her nose at me.
- *1: <L. tangere, touch, seize, grasp, 触れる･行う･捕まえる･取る･握る･魅する; >借地権, 捕獲高, 保護人, 捕獲物, 収益金; take-in ペテン; take-out 持ち帰り; takeover乗っ取り; taking-off 命を奪う
- †1 悪口として
- *2: term: <L terminum, limit, boudary; termless 無限の; termly
- *3: that節とto不定詞の比較
- It+V+that節: より客観的表現: 状況全体
- S+to不定詞: Sへの関心が強調されより感情的な表現
- †2: believed=十分な根拠があって考えられる
- †3: 不定詞自体が未来志向の表現
- †4: くじら構文
¶A whale is no more a fish than a horse is.
- *4: ラテン比較級 (-or)
- senior/ junior/ major/ minor/ superior/ inferior
- *5: <L. terere, rub, throw, wend;
at every turn 至る所で; turn color 顔色を変える; turn head 立ち向かう; turn the scale 天秤の一方を重くする; turn loose 解き放つ